1st timer series: Titiwangsa Reads!

original capture image


Playing music: Racing into the Night // YOASOBI
Hallo die Schikeria! 

"As you get older, you really just want to be surrounded by good people. People that are good for you, good to you, and good for your soul." - @nabastajla on Twitter/X.

I have always enjoy reading since I was a child, and reading at the park gives this kind of peacefulness sensation that you never knew exists. I don't mind that much reading whatever book that I have with me at the park, at any time given I was at the park. It's one of the worldly joy and serenity that I could indulge and appreciate for. Reading had been an escapism for me when I was a kid, and now it has become a part of me as an adult. 

One day, as I would rot myself out on the bed, scrolling social media, I stumble upon this IG account that promotes reading at the park every Saturday. If anybody want to check out, do look out @kualalumpurreads on Instagram for further information. As I was scrolling through the posts, I made up mental note on the location and timing of the "event" on the calendar. One can only plan for things, yet never made it to the place. My Saturdays usually filled with social gathering, some shopping and errands, or going to career fair (career starter after study is real, on top of crappy job market). I eventually didn't manage to go to Kuala Lumpur Reads.

Few months later, curator of Kuala Lumpur Reads promoting other parks that held similar community. Do check out at @kualalumpurreads for other similar community nearby your place. The closest park to my house would be Titiwangsa Park, and to my luck, there is a reading community formed at the park. Immediately I set off my calendar so that I wouldn't miss it. Titiwangsa Reads community is being held every Sunday at 8:30 am to 10:30 am. There's also IG account for Titiwangsa Reads community that you can check out @titiwangsareads

The first community gathering at Titiwangsa Park was being held on 13th April 2025. I haven't managed to come for the first gathering due to social gathering I was having on that day. I decided to try come for the next one, and I finally did. It was a bit awkward coming to unknown gathering community without knowing anyone, yet the curator that handles the community was super helpful and kind enough to help me around. 

During the time, with the sun shining brightly, there's gentle wind breeze through the branches on the trees. The community were reading in silence, some of them were sitting on a 'healing chair', some were laying down on the picnic blanket, and there's me who just sit on the ground without anything covers my bum, my back against one of the tree, silently reading Mika in Real Life by Emiko Jean. 


collage of books I've read at Titiwangsa Reads

The curator gathers the community up for a photograph session of the people who come to the community and the books that people reads during the session before leaving. Some people choose to continue with their reading, some went up for a walk and the rest went back home. I decided to stay back while I'm still in the reading zone. I finished up my time with the community around 12 in the afternoon, and went back home. I was feeling great for the rest of the day and decided to come again; and so I did. I've been coming to the community for almost every week, planning to make it a part of my routine and let's just say a comfort time for myself.

I've gain lots of memories just for joining the community and connecting with the curator of Titiwangsa Reads. She came to realize my presence after the 3rd time coming to the community, and introduce me to interesting stuffs that I would never venture if it wasn't for her recommendation. I've come to love this community so much than I though I would. I will continue to go to the community every Sunday and make this a thing for myself. 

0 Comments